What is "bull country"? More than 200 years ago, it was customary for the inhabitants of a village who kept cows to keep a common breeding bull, the village bull, who also belonged to the "village". This bull was kept on a land area, the "bull land", which also belonged to this village.

Farmers vogt
Carl Harders

The origin of the "cattle farms" of the village of Trittau is connected with the agrarian reform of 1771. Before this time, there is no mention of cattle farms, especially not in the Earth Book of 1708 and in the duchies enacted laws and regulations. But there is no doubt that the village bulls have been given land distributions because, of course, plots of land have been laid out for the still existing village bull. The "communal meannesses", i. the community land of the village, were distributed in 1777/1778. For the village of Trittau, lands of a total size of more than 7 tonnes were laid out "to a common bull meadow". In a notice of 30 October 1813 it is stated that the design of the paddock from the Hebüchen Moor (see land register) was approved as bull meadow. In the contract of March 19, 1822, the cattle farms are over-written to the half-hoofed Stender as property with the attribution to his hooves. A decision that should lead to a judicial dispute in later years. Stender took over the obligation to keep on his half-hooves one, if necessary, two capable breeding bulls for the free use of the "concomitant Trittau villagers". The peasants Harders, 10 half-horsemen, 4 Käthner and 7 Bödner are mentioned in the contract as "engaging villagers". That is why they called themselves "The Cooperative of the 22 Peasants". This term is still used, although the cooperative today (2010) only consists of 9 members.

In 1842, Mannshardt acquired all land ownership of Stender, thereby becoming the owner of the Bull Country. His entire possessions he sold in 1867 to F.W. Siefahrt, who, like his previous owners, also complied with his obligation to keep bulls until 1874.

In the royal office to Trittau on October 22, 1846 a directory on the land area of the village Trittau was created. It was a directory of all the inhabitants of Trittau, who kept one or more cows in their stock. The occupation, name and size of the cultivated land were recorded. It was an amalgamation of the "Eingeseßenen" for the purpose of sharing a cover bull, which later called itself "Bull Cooperative Trittau".

In 1874 Parcels (= division and sale of individual areas of a farm) Siefahrt his possessions. He kept a paddock and sold 32 different sized land areas to 32 inhabitants of Trittau. The municipality Trittau he offered the "cattle farms" for sale. As a result, the legal successors to the "acceding" site owners referred to in the 1822 contract claimed the right to be bullfighted by Stender. After the judgment of the district court Altona of 24 November 1875 the municipality Trittau was condemned as owner of the Bullen landings for bull keeping in accordance with the contract of 1882. The community representatives then encouraged negotiations that led to the cattle lands were transferred back by contract of 1 March 1877 the cooperative of the 20 farmers as property.

It is not clear how the farmers in Trittau have covered the supply of breeding bulls since 1874. It can be assumed that in the years more and more farmers had bought their own bull, so that a common bull was no longer necessary. Even after the acquisition of the cattle lands, they did not use them for keeping bulls, but leased them regularly. The leasing fee - less any costs such as Land tax, church tax and school tax, was divided among the cooperative members in proportion to the 1846 fixed land shares.

After the Bollen landes again owned by the cooperative of the 20 farmers, Siefahrt and 7 acquirers of parcels from the Siefahrt'schen possession spoke up and raised 1884 at the district court Trittau complaint against the 20 farmers with the goal, at the property or nevertheless to be involved in the use of the Bullen Ländereien. The claim was dismissed because Siefahrt had transferred its obligation to keep bulls to the municipality by selling the cattle lands.

After these turmoil over the past decades around the cattle farms, it was time to draw up binding regulations on the use of cattle farms. In 1893, a contract was concluded before the royal Prussian district court Trittau on the cooperative bull. The occasion was the demise of comrade Halbhufner Stahmer and the subsequent parceling of a farm. The buyer, who had acquired the house and some land, filed suit against the heirs of Stahmers for participation in the cattle lands. He withdrew the complaint - apparently on the part of the comrades - but again. In the "log book of the Cooperative of the Bull Rural Trittau", which is still kept in the original by the comrades of today's Bull cooperative, we read:

Trittau, February 21, 1893
in the house of the innkeeper Mr. Johannes Harders

Upon completion of the summons, on behalf of the plenipotentiaries, the cooperative members of the so-called bull farms mentioned below in § 5 had met on the occasion of the death of the member Halbhufner Hinrich Stahmer, after all of his heirs had sold the property to a Mr. Rühlicke from Neumünster. He parceled out the property in question. The dwelling house together with workers' dwelling with some yard space and garden land as well as a few hectares of acreage passed into the possession of the Bödners Gatermann, Trittau. The latter entered a plaintive suit against the heirs of the half-breeder Johann Hinrich Stahmer for being released as a co-owner of the bull farms. A proof in the matter was already scheduled by the Royal District Court on Wednesday 8 February 1893 am 10 clock; the case was settled by withdrawal of the claim on the part of the plaintiff Gatermann. In order to keep unjustified claims on the part of the members similar to previous verbal agreements for members of the cooperative for all time, they have concluded the following contract in writing.

§ 1

When a cooperative member parceles out his position, he retains the full enjoyment of the rights, if the same retains a land area of at least one-third of his total possession. In contrast, the buyers of parcels are completely excluded. Also, if the cooperative member retains less than a portion of its designated property, it will have to assign and release its ownership rights in the bull lands to the other co-owners.

§ 2

The members of the cooperative meet every year in the month of January or February, to which they are invited by the chairman.

§ 3

The election of a chairman, who also acts as accountant, and his deputy shall be by a simple majority vote. The majority of the votes must be calculated according to the ownership of the first determinant (§ 5). In case of a tie, the lot decided by the hand of the chairman decides.

§ 4

The chairman manages his office as an unpaid honorary officer for a period of 6 years; expenses are reimbursed.

§ 5

The distribution of the proceeds from the cattle lands takes place under consideration of the regulations in § 1 after the excerpt from the list over the land area of the village Trittau, made on the royal office to Trittau on 22 October 1846, which is attached in the original of this contract. Thereafter, the land measure of

  Metric tons
á 8 bushels
à 40 Ruthen
á 256 Fuß
HalbhufnerJohann Harten57311 
- " -Fritz Rosenau58   
- " -Johann Scharnberg566108
- " -Fritz Scharnberg57   
- " -H. Steenfadt Inherits58   
- " -Frdr. Schneider607242
- " -Fritz Burmeister565293
KätnersRudolph Scharnberg31   
- " -Wilhelm Pünjer31   
- " -Griems Erben33230 
- " -H. Relling30411 
BödnersFritz Bestmann20628 
- " -Hein Pielk252358
- " -Fritz Scharnberg25   
- " -Heinrich Meier14   
- " -Hans Henningsen16 28 
- " -Heinrich Scharnberg14   
- " -Carl Möller141439
HufnerJohannes Harders775128

Those lands acquired by the above-named owners after October 22, 1846, and united with the places thereof, have no share in the profits of the bull lands.

§ 6

Each member of the cooperative is obliged, upon delivery of his place or any sale, to his successor at the same time, to cede to the possessions the sires of justice.

§ 7

Any modification of the above agreement can only take place if the owners of seven-eighth of the entire estate of the persons concerned advocate it.

§ 8

At the request of 5 members, the chairman is obliged to appoint the members to a meeting.

§ 9

After the above agreement has been universally endorsed and concluded by us, the undersigned may request a royal district court to register the same in the land register for the cooperative.
To the deed we signed by hand the above agreement.

That the persons listed below

1HalbhufnerJohann Jochen Friedrich Scharnberg
2BödnerJoachim Hinrich Friedrich Meyer
3HalbhufnerHans Joachim Friedrich Rosenau
4BödnerHein Hinrich Pielk
5DoppelbödnerHeinrich Rudolph Eduard Scharnberg
6HalbhufnerJohann Hinrich Friedrich Harten
7BödnerFriedrich Nicolaus Bestmann
8KäthnerHinrich Friedrich Daniel Relling
9HalbhufnerRudolph Heinrich Friedrich Schneider
10HufnerJohannes Friedrich Wilhelm Harders
11BödnerHans Henningsen
12KäthnerJohann Claus Rudolph Scharnberg
13KäthnerJohann Hinrich Wilhelm Pünjer
14HalbhufnerJohann Friedrich Hinrich Scharnberg
15BödnerCarl Friedrich Ludolf Möller
16HalbhufnerHans Friedrich Burmeister
17InnkeeperJohann Friedrich Scharnberg
as general representative of his wife Catharina Maria Magdalena, born Püst
18KäthnerJohann Heinrich Friedrich Griem
19BöttcherChristian Scharnberg and Käthner Hinrich Relling
as the guardian of the halfhounder Hinrich Friedrich Steenfadt's heirs

comparent no. 5 from Trittauerheide, the rest of them all from Trittau, namely those listed under Nos. 1 to 17 and 19 above signed signatures as they have done by themselves today and that recorded under no. 18 Käthner Griem his signature above has performed today by hand, is hereby confirmed.

Trittau, April 7, 1893
Royal District Court
Dr. Arends

As far as the 1893 closed contract on the Bull Cooperative Trittau, incidentally, their minutes of the annual meeting continues in the minutes of 1893 holds.

An interesting ritual was introduced around 1949: When, due to the succession, a new comrade was included in the cooperative, he had to jump as a debut on a held by 2 people Bollenpesel (Bollenpesel = dried penis of a bull, a stabilization wire was fed). Such a Bollenpesel was still used at that time by full-time milking (also called Swiss) on large farms for cattle driving.

The "Bull Cooperative" still exists today (2010) and meets once a year for its annual general meeting, where the lease proceeds of the bulls lands are distributed to the members in proportion to the 1846 fixed land shares. At the annual general meeting there are food and drinks available for the members, so that the lion's share of the lease proceeds is consumed and only a few euros remain for the members.

Of the original 19 members, 9 members are left today (as of 01.01.2010). They are:

1Reinhard Scharnberg15Anke Schmechel
2Jens Hinsch16Heinrich Burmeister
3Anne Petersen18Holger Rosenau
10Eckart Harders19Ulf Zingelmann
12Rudolf Grunwald  

The numbers in front of the names correspond to the numbering of the land offices in the contract of 1893, in order to have a better assignment of the persons to the lands, because only with 3 comrades has the surname kept until today (Burmeister, Harders and Scharnberg).

I thank Eckart Harders, the grandson of the farmer's vet Carl Harders mentioned in the article, and my brother Richard Scharnberg, the father of the current chairman of the cooperative, Reinhard Scharnberg, for providing me with the necessary information on the cooperative.